Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Survey: Chat and IM

From: Jason Yates <jaywhy2 () comcast net>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:09:27 -0500

I think if you ban file transfer connections and direct connections.  You
should be alright from a security standpoint.  Not really sure how you could
do it though =/.  I know most of the java web clients support these features,
so I really don't see any security differences between the regular binary AIM
client and a java one, except for certain buffer overflows in binary aim
clients.

But even blocking file transfer and direct connections people can still be
vulnerable to stupid aol worms.  I don't want to give anyone any ideas, but
imagine a worm that sends everyone on a buddy list a link to a web page.  The
web page could consist of a <random ie bug goes here> exploit and the process
continues.

Also there really isn't any AIM proxying or security technologies out there
yet to manage aim use.  The only one I'm farmilar with is ReAIM,
http://reaim.sourceforge.net.  Last I checked it was alpha quality.

But don't think banning aim is easy as a firewall rule.  Let me give you a
personal example.  A previous employer of mine,  decided blocking instant
messaging was a good idea. They simply blocked, on the firewall, the default
port AIM uses, problem fixed right.  The problem with this solution was the
AIM has Auto Connection feature, that allows aim clients to search every port
until it finds one it can connect to aol servers with.  Since we allowed
external ftp connections, AIM would simply use port 21 to connect to the AOL
servers.  Even if we block every port at the firewall, people can still talk
through aim through web proxies.  This is when my previous employer
eventually gave up on the policy.

Good luck you'll need it. =)

Jason Yates