Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Protect folder data.

From: "Rick Darsey" <rdarsey () aims1 com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 07:08:39 -0600

EFS can be comprimised if you have Admin access to the box.  There are
several tools that will reset the admin password on a Windows 2000 system.
Once this is done, you log in as admin and add the admin user to the
Encrypted Files Recovery Agent group, and you are in.

This said, if you can lock down Admin rights to the workstation, and there
is not a domain policy in place that will over-ride it, you will have a
fairly strong encryption.  The Sys Admin can probably still get into the
files through the method mentioned above, but he will have to be at the
workstation to do it. I am assuming that the original poster of this
question wants to prevent un-authorized access from the LAN, and from normal
usage on the workstation.

Any software that he may use to lock the files can be broken by a person
with enough knowledge.  I hardly think that a local sys admin will have
access to the brute force type that the FBI used.  There is no completely
secure method of protecting data short of disconnecting the system from any
outside access, and keeping the workstation with you at ALL times.

Rick
MCSE, MCSA, CUSA, ACE