Security Basics mailing list archives

Re[2]: Protect folder data.

From: mutante <mutante () seti23 org>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 02:28:27 +0100

I recommend you use GPG instead of PGP ,PGP`s source code isnt
released anymore and there are rumours about a backdoor.
Above version 5 of PGP there is the "Corporate Message Recovery (CMR)"
function.
GnuPG the GNUPrivacyGuard is a complete and free replacement for PGP
and still open source.
http://www.gnupg.org/
WindowsPrivacyTray is a nice frontend for GPG under Windows:
http://www.winpt.org/
If you make sure to keep your password good and random,and store your
(long enough) secret key on an external media (USB memory sticks come in handy
f.e.),you can consider it pretty safe.

mutante
s23.org

MM>Try PGP freeware, you can download it from the net. You can encrypt specific
MM>files. But if you lose/forget the password, you lose the file.

BMsc> So far I remember, you can buy a boot cd for win2k.
BMsc> Booting from this one, and you have access to encryped filesystems,
BMsc> without any problems.

BMsc> Well, I might remember wrong.

BMsc> /Bent