Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Cable Modems Need Open Ports?

From: "Case CCC" <case_list () operamail com>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 13:45:54 +0800

I believe port 53 is required to resolve the namespaces,
like yahho.com to 64.58.79.x... Also, port 59 is used
by new file to talk back and forth to the server that
keeps the token lists.

I would recommend doing a google search with

'TCP/IP Ports 53 59'

Try blocking one or the other see what happens,
trial and error is a harsh mistress but a great
teacher.

external IP i assume you mean the WAN side on you
router/modem NIC.

case
console_cowboy

I was "playing" with setting on my router that is connected to a cable modem
(Comcast is the ISP).  After blocking incoming (from wan) UDP and TCP ports
53 and 59 the router lost its external IP.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike