Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Cable Modems Need Open Ports?

From: "Dallas Hindle" <dallash () optushome com au>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 15:34:18 +1100

I think you will find that one of both of these ports are for the "heart
beat" if your ISP can't detect these or they aren't responded to, then
the isp will believe that you modem has been disconnected or not working
and you will loose your ip and connection.
You should be able to confirm this with the ISP's technical support so
you can't secure anything that isn't directly needed by you or them.

Dallas