Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Hiding IP in E-Mail..

From: Dave Killion <Dkillion () netscreen com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:19:37 -0700

You'd have to be able to control the mail server you're sending mail
through, and configure it not to log IP's of MTA's that contact it.  By
default, most mail servers append the IP address of who's sending them
mail, so that if there's a problem with the email later, they can send
back status information.  It's also polite.

Some ISP's will do this for you already.

If you want to send mail anonymously, use one of the anonymous email
services like Hushmail.

Dave Killion
Senior Security Engineer
Security Group, NetScreen Technologies, Inc.