Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows Security Templates

From: Doug Massey <doug () masseytechnologies com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:49:26 -0400

Roy,
If you just need to deploy it on the box, that's just mass
file copy.  Enforcing the template requires the use of the
executable secedit.  In which case, you have to have system
level impersonation to execute a command on each machine.
VBS in a domain environment gives you this.  you can set up
a batch file with variables that calls another and executes
the command with the .vbs file embedded.  If you have any
other services that can remotely execute commands, then a
local batch file can do what you need as well.
To deploy an .MSI on a box remotely, you have to be able to
run msiexec.exe on the remote box AND pass command line
switches, which, like the rest of the options on the table,
requires ability to execute commands remotely.
I worked in a strictly Novell shop where we used Novell's
workstation manager to deploy and enfore security templates
on Win2k boxes.