Security Basics mailing list archives

FW: Identifying a computer

From: "Alex Pimperton" <Alex () MAGDALENSTREET CO UK>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 23:30:53 -0000

The only thing I can think of, assuming you aren't running layer 3 or
managed switches, is blocking the IP from accessing the net and see who
complains...

You could also run a traffic sniffer such as ethereal on your linux
server, and see if any incriminating evidence shows up (machine name
etc)

Unless this local LAN is someplace like a university or public access
LAN, I suggest that you implement an acceptable internet use policy.
This will be much more effective in the long run than chasing up people
who consume to much bandwidth.

Thanks

Alex