Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: locked out of XP, need file access

From: ". ." <miklohnews () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:08:36 +1000

I agree, all valid points. However

- i went overseas for a few months and came back only to find myself having forgotten the admin password to both my w2k machines at home. I thought i remembered it, and was surprised when my machines didnt wanna accept what i typed in at all! hmmm... must've changed them right before i left. ;) - as u can see by the replies to this question, the information is defenitely out there anyway, whether u find it urself (google) or ask like this in a formum, so no point in trying to hide it. - to hide information like this may lead to a false sense of security. someone not knowing how easy it is to crack a system may feel that they're all secure since they have a password setup. security by obscurity is the term i think.

i think it's more up to the local administrators to try to keep a close eye on people in his/her area. on a forum like this, hey, what can i do anyway if someone on the other side of the world wants to break into some system (maybe mine!! oops...)? i look after my things and hope that someone wont be able to break into my machines. hopefully, if this guy doesnt have legitimate reasons to reset the password, his local admin doesn't allow him physical access to this machine. but on the other hand, as u or someone else said, he may have physical access if it's the neighbour machine in his office. ah well. my point is that the info is out there, u can always find out, so no real point in trying to hide things.