Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: McAfee Anti Virus V4.5.1 SP1

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 10:25:04 -0800

  I'm not certain about Nachi, but in the case of Slammer this was
entirely normal.
  An "on access" virus scan is going to (try to ...) detect viral
code in disk files as they are being loaded into memory to begin
execution.  To justify the name "on access", it *should* also detect
viral code being written to a file, but I can't swear that every
vendor actually does that.

  Slammer never wrote its code to any file on disk.  It infected the
copy of SQL Server (or a derivative product) already running in
memory.  There was never any point where an on access scanner would
see it.  (This also meant that powering the machine off and then back
would get rid of an infection, although, unless other measures were
also taken, it would get re-infected pretty quickly.)

  Nachi clearly writes its viral code to disk.  But since it too
spreads as a worm, I'm not certain that it needs to read the code
back from disk before beginning to try to infect other machines.

David Gillett