Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ghostly mail ports

From: Brian Bruns <bruns () 2mbit com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 19:00:31 -0500

At 08:30 AM 1/10/03 -0800, David Gillett wrote:
 The first generation of such packages weren't good at hiding
they were doing, or at explaining it to users -- and as a result,
a lot of mid-range users were stumbling across weird-looking
email configurations and "fixing" them, not realizing they were
actually breaking the antivirus protection they had installed.
 The newer generation of products seem to have simply gotten
much better at hiding themselves.  But if they hid themselves
perfectly, they couldn't work at all....

That used to confuse the living crap out of tech support reps too.  Of
course, when the proxies crashed, it made it look like the ISPs mail
servers were down.  Having the customer change their server names from
127.0.0.1 or localhost to the correct values always fixed it.

Newer versions snag the connection transparently from the network stack
IIRC, avoiding the mess of changing the server name, etc.  Of course, if it
crashes, you still have the same problem....

I've never had a problem with viruses - I use eudora, and NAV will just
snag the virus as soon as my mail program puts it on the drive.
Brian Bruns
Founder, The Summit Open Source Development Group
Open Solutions For A Closed World / Anti-Spam Resources
http://www.2mbit.com
ICQ: 8077511

No spam tolerated.  By sending an e-mail to this account, your
server may be subjected to an open relay/open proxy test as part
of our ongoing efforts to reduce spam.