Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ghostly mail ports

From: Security Newsletters-TM <SecurityNewsletters.tm () telus com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:57:35 -0500

Hi Joe;

It does sound like there IS a mail server.   Try doing a 'netstat' on the
command line and seeing if the ports are truly bound.  Don't forget, many
trojan and viruses can deliver such a peice of hidden background software,
so scan your system regularly!

One port SMTP (25) is for other computers to connect to for sending mail
(SMTP).
The other one (110) is for other computers to connect to retreive the mail
(POP3)

This is normal,
but then again, nothing on Winblows ever is.

-Patrick Best