Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VNC

From: SMiller () unimin com
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:06:34 -0500

First, I'm confused about how there can be a new version. VNC was a project
of AT&T UK Labs. My understanding is that VNC development was frozen a long
time ago. AT&T recently disbanded this entity (according to the Register of
some months ago) I believe some of the pieces reverted to Olivetti, but I
heard that they had no plans for VNC. Did some former employees take it
over to continue development? There is a Windows-only product that we use
named TridiaVNCPro that wraps the latest VNC version that I know of in a
proprietary shell that provides encryption as well as some console
management functions.

                      Marty
                      <marti@videotron.        To:       security-basics () securityfocus com
                      ca>                      cc:
                                               Subject:  VNC
                      01/29/2003 01:08
                      PM

Hi,

I remember inquiring last year about VNC as a network remote control
solution. Sincere thanks to all those that answered. We stopped the VNC
implementation after reading about all the risks related to the product.

Our tech people are coming back and charging... again.

My question is simple is the latest version of VNC better than the
previous ones and should we allow our tech group to use it to take
control of our machines (servers and workstations)...

---

:-)

Merci

Marty!