Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Physical Security & Protecting Information

From: A B <hadavidi () yahoo com>
Date: 14 Mar 2003 19:14:22 -0000

Hi

While it is hard (if not impossible) to stop such thefts, a lot depends
on your threat analysis and risk assessment. It is not clear from your
mail about the industry you are in and what your mangement's prespectives
are regarding this issue. A lot also depends on the premium the managment
is ready to put for your information. In my organization, some of the
departments have removed floppy drives/No CD-RW/No Zip Drives from their
systems. They also have a clear policy that requires the employees to get
appropriate permissions before attaching any external storage devices. So
any violation of this policy is subject to disciplinary action. Of
course, alternate arrangements have to be made to ensure that work flow
is not impeded. Does this stop incidents such as those described in your
mail. Definitely not. But it goes a long way in raising the bar and if
you are liable for the information you hold, well the due diligence will
definitely save you in the court of law.

My .01 cent

Cheers