Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Cisco Pix Vs. Symantec Velociraptor

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:44:03 -0800

  What makes it an appliance is that it's running a dedicated
configuration from the hardware up, not a general-purpose OS
with a firewall application.  Including a hard drive in the
hardware doesn't make it less of an appliance.
  (We have "appliances" fulfilling other network functions
that, according to their boot screens, include hard drives
internally....)

David Gillett