Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Vendor wants remote control of our Servers and Workstations

From: "Michael Parker" <mparker () rim net>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 13:37:24 -0500

WOW!  I'm with you...even if the vendor has the best of intentions this
could cause a lot of trouble.  Admittedly you can secure the wazoo out
of this from a technological standpoint, but far more concerning would
be human equation.  You might want to hit them up with a ton of legal
documentation and liability insurance as well as make sure that they can
meet/excced the standards you hold for your own employees that "touch"
the servers in question.  Might not be a bad idea to talk to your legal
department about this.  Even if approved you might want to create a
strict policy outlining specifically what they can and can't do, and
recourse if they overstep their boundries.

Cheers,
Michael