Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Distressing, possibly life threatening emails from free accounts (yahoo, hotmail

From: "David Vertie" <verticalrave () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 01:26:30 +0000

In most cases, you'd be able to find that the mail headers were forged, and mail bounced through several proxies. In other cases, the culprit is in the open air, unintelligeable as to methods of detection.

I would be extremely carefully in pointing fingers however, since it is more than likely that e-mail headers were probably forged (should assume so anyway), and going to the person who owns the particular account and yanking it from them will do no good to stop the e-mails any how.

In these cases, it is hard to try to tell what to do, much like in the case of Ping of Death attacks. You can either attempt to socially engineer the person out, or try to trap the person by wiretapping and monitoring the paths that the particular person has taken to send the e-mail and wait. Law enforcement should be involved. As always. I believe this is more serious than a PoD Reflection attack against a major corporation.

David