Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: email gateway (transparent)

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:28:10 -0800

        We currently are working with two solutions:

        OpenBSD 3.4/SpamAssassin/SophosAV/Postfix and Amavis-new
        Red Hat Linux 9.0/SpamAssassin/SophosAV/Postfix and Amavis-new

        The reason there the second MTA is RHL instead of OpenBSD is due
to the RAID card in the ML330 is no supported in OpenBSD. A great
document for this solution is located at:

        http://lawmonkey.org/anti-spam.html

The OpenBSD box will run on practically anything and have great
pass-through performance. The RHL box is more of a Ram/HDD hog, so take
that into account. With the default SA config, we had no false positives
and around 98% successful spam capture. I'm more of a Windows man by
profession but I don't trust Windows boxes on the Internet and won't
place any there if I can avoid it. As for a Zero-configuration, that's a
Windows-World lexicon, some *NIX systems (i.e. a Red Hat installation)
have neared Zero-Config, but that's few and far between.

        Coupled with other tools like MRTG and Nagios, monitoring and
management of those MTA's is far easier then getting Exchange to route
email correctly.

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA