Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: email gateway (transparent)

From: "Steve" <securityfocus () delahunty com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:19:27 -0500

We run spam assassin with great results, open source, running on FreeBSD but
I believe it runs on Linux as well.

Another area to research would be the use of an appliance like the one
offered by Symantec that not only performs blocking but also checks HTTP for
viruses, like your folks checking their hotmail via HTTP.

We use Sybari on our Exchange box and I cannot say enough good things about
it.  They do anti-spam now also.  It uses 5 anti virus scanning engines and
has little impact on the system performance.  We have not had one virus/worm
get into our network since we implemented it.

There is no such thing as zero configuration.  And in my experience if you
use open source your configuration and experitse required is higher than for
commercial products.  The less you get involved in the configuration the
less you get for security.