Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: account trapping

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:17:48 -0800

From: "Jack Solomon" <solzjack43 () hotmail com>
Back in the day, we used to restrict users to a particular menu using a trap. Does anyone know, is there such a thing in Windows?

I want to leave a monitoring station logged in all day so that I can see the status of the servers. Our monitoring application has to run as Admin to query the server registrys. I want to prevent it doing anything else but I don't want to have to lock the screen out because its real convenient to see it going crazy from the other side of the room.

I can't make it email/page me because its homegrown and doesnt have this functionality yet. Is there an easy way to setup an account with Admin rights but to stop it running any other programs?

Thanks

Sure, just put that account in it's own OU and edit the group policy so that the program in question is the only allowed executable.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Ok, so the servers are down, the lights are out, and all I have to work with is a roll of duct tape, a ball point pen, a lighter, and a twenty year old copy of emacs. Where's the problem?"

Great deals on high-speed Internet access as low as $26.95. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary by service area.)

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs by up to 80%. FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial - http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------