Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: bash_history to track users

From: Valter Santos <vsantola () devfusion net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:28:05 +0000

Hi,

maybe your approach is not the correct one! It will more valuable and
less risky to send bash commands to syslog and have syslog send
everything to a remote server.

Some time ago i have used Autonomasia's bash-syslog patch [1] for bash
2.03 and adapted it to mandrake's bash 2.05b [2]. In my website you will
find binary RPMs to this last one. If you use another distro shouldn't
be very hard to adapt the patch to it.

reference:
[1] Autonomasia bash-syslog patch for bash-2.03
http://www.honeynet.org/papers/honeynet/tools/bash.patch

[2] My bash-syslog patch for bash-2.05b-12mdk:
http://devfusion.net/~vsantola/packages/bash-syslog/bash-2.05b-syslog.patch

Hope this help
/valter