Security Basics mailing list archives

SV: Blocking IRC Access

From: Thomas Westlund <thomas.westlund () prioritytelecom no>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:38:01 +0100

Since you in theory can run IRC on any port you want, depending on the
configuration of the IRC server of course, just blocking
the ports would not let you stop all IRC traffic.

I'm not quite shure about cisco equiptment, but FW-1 (and I'm shure a lot of
others) lets you make a rule based on a packet matching pattern.
This will let you filter out IRC traffic regardless of the port's the
session is running on.

I've never built a pattern for stopping IRC, but if you google it I'm shure
you'll find someone who has.

Hope this points you in the right direction :)

--
Thomas Westlund
Priority Telecom Norway AS