Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Blocking IRC Access

From: getting_out <getting_out () tele2 it>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:48:35 +0100

hmm, blocking irc. I think it's a very difficult thing to do.
If you have an open port, I can always connect to irc.
For example, in my office there's a firewall that block all ports (except needed), but I can still connect by the 80. I simply use an HttpTunnel. I can't download file, but I can chat (and it's what I wanna do).

I think that a pretty way is to look on which user-agent sends varius irc program and then forbit it. Or accept only some type of user-agent like IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Opera, etc, etc! But I can still make a program that get all the communication on local host, redirect through the firewall adding (and if needed removing the wrong one) user-agent ;)

Tell me on how will you block irc connection. I'm really interested in it.

Bye