Security Basics mailing list archives

VPN Access for Consultants

From: "Jennifer Fountain" <JFountain () rbinc com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:28:25 -0500

Hi All:

We have several consultants working for my company and they have
requested that I allow vpn access through our firewall to their company.
They want to be able to access their network and our network at the same
time (tunnel).  I told them no, I do not want to create a tunnel between
my network and theirs but I would allow them to plug their laptops into
the dmz or outside the firewall so they can access their network.  They
proceeded to look at me like I had six heads and act like I was the only
security admin that wouldn't allow this.  What is the general consensus
on this type of activity?  What policies do you have implemented?  Do
you allow it if the remote network was confirmed to be secure?

Thanks for any info
Jenn