Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VPN Access for Consultants (Little Late)

From: Jimi Thompson <jimit () myrealbox com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:06:12 -0600

This type of things is what lead us to install a VPN client that "locks" the NIC and doesn't allow any other network connections other than the VPN while the VPN is active. Once the VPN session is closed, it allows normal use of the NIC. There are a lot of them out there.

HTH,

Jimi

PS: Ours also has a policy enforcement module that allows us to require current OS updates as well as current antivirus software.
Gabriel Orozco wrote:

I use VPN to my networks for several employees.

but they can easily change their setup from being not shared to share both
networks.

how you as a netadmin can assure they will not do this? I don't think it's a
reasonable way unless you are the Administrator for their notebooks and they
don't have access to the setup of the VPN client.

other than that, or you trust them (and of course protect yourself via
signed papers) or you don't and you thell what are the possibilities if a
person has this kind of access to your net.

----- Original Message ----- From: <lennons () comcast net>