Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: scary but true

From: "Glenn Pearl" <glennp () datasync com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:45:43 -0500

"Hacker's Challenge", by Mike Shiffman, Osborne/McGraw Hill.  I picked
it up for $7 in a bargain bin.  Describes real security breach scenarios
and the administrators' responses in the first part of the book.  Second
part analyzes the attacks and responses in detail.

I wouldn't recommend this book as a "must read" for security guru
aspirations, but I think it would be perfect for what you're looking
for.  At least half of the security breaches described in this book are
directly attributable to unpatched or improperly configured systems
and/or firewalls.

Glenn Pearl