Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security Certs

From: "Nelson, Ernie" <Ernie.Nelson () wizards com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 10:41:26 -0700

I finished my GSEC in January, and it was one of the more rigorous certification processes I've been through.  I've
just finished my GCIH training and am about to begin the actual certification process....involving writing a nice paper
explaining an attack in detail and then the incident handling process from start to finish.  Then comes the actual
tests.  This is much closer to the performance based testing model like what is used by Red Hat for the RHCT (which I
just started training for) and RHCE than the simple take a test only method like most Microsoft certs.

As far as a possible job candidates claims and certifications...
In the end I believe it is far better to actually evaluate the persons knowledge the best you can with the time and
resources given than to simply accept the claims and acronyms as proof.  Also as David Gillett posted earlier, it can
show that they have devoted the time and money to achieve certification which is what many employers do when they
evaluate your college education.

Ernie - GSEC, MCP (and hopefully soon RHCT, GCIH)