Security Basics mailing list archives

whois query for business or registrant name?

From: "Mark G. Spencer" <mspencer () evidentdata com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 08:48:16 -0700

Is it possible to perform a whois query for a business or registrant name,
instead of a domain name?  I remember hearing about precautions taken so
that spammers couldn't harvest email addresses from whois databases (though
they still seem to get the email addresses for my domain!), but I'm not sure
if that means I would be unable to also query a business or registrant name?

Thanks,

Mark

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com