Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Program with Functionality Similar to UpdateEXPERT?

From: "Jason Balicki" <kodak () frontierhomemortgage com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:22:12 -0500

From: Chris Berry [mailto:compjma () hotmail com]

However if you don't want to do that, why not
just turn on the auto-update feature for all the workstations?

Because automatic updates are dangerous.  I need to test the
updates in our specific environment before I apply them
network-wide.

Microsoft updates have broken things before (811493 for example)
and testing patches=saved asses.

And in regards to an "all MS" shop -- yeah, only one would be
needed.  But it's a slippery slope.  :)

--J(K)

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm