Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Program with Functionality Similar to UpdateEXPERT?

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:33:05 -0700

From: "Jason Balicki" <kodak () frontierhomemortgage com>
>From: Chris Berry [mailto:compjma () hotmail com]

>However if you don't want to do that, why not
>just turn on the auto-update feature for all the workstations?

Because automatic updates are dangerous.  I need to test the
updates in our specific environment before I apply them
network-wide.

Microsoft updates have broken things before (811493 for example)
and testing patches=saved asses.

That's sound planning. Hmm, have you considered using samba 3.0 to deploy them using group policy objects, or you could download and distribute using logon scripts, or you could probably write a perl program to distribute it for you, etc. etc. What I do is use my workstation as the patch test bed.

And in regards to an "all MS" shop -- yeah, only one would be
needed.  But it's a slippery slope.  :)

Hehe that's true. I don't have any choice here, some of our apps only run on MS OS.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Conciousness: that annoying time between naps."

Try MSN Messenger 6.0 with integrated webcam functionality! http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_webcam

Captus Networks Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster? - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic FIND OUT NOW - FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm