Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: switched n/w

From: "Rishi Pande" <rpande () vt edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 14:10:52 -0500

I am by no means any kind of a security expert. But there is a remarkable
difference between sniffing on a network and actually manipulating the
packets that are received the user.
Also, the switched environment sniffing issue is one I have seen mentioned
several times. Here's a link that may help you some
http://www.surasoft.com/articles/packetsniffing.php

In addition, you may just have a bad switch (hardware issue related) Also,
is there any kind of evidence that this is being done in your internal
network and not outside your network? That may be an issue you want to
investigate.

Good luck!
        Rishi