Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Spyware

From: geraldf () westernsaw com
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:48:37 -0800

Hi, Matt;

Sorry, that is not a good proposed solution because many spyware programs
use port redirectors.  They are set to communicate on a high undedicated
port, but they are programmed to pass their packets to, say, port 80, 25,
etc as they "phone home" through the firewall to the internet.  Once they
reach their destination IP, they shift the packets back up to the high
undedicated port for a proper socket connection.

Let me know if you come up with anything to stop this flow.  I have looked
at application-level monitoring programs to see if they can stop this flow,
but no luck so far.  Its cheaper and far less overhead just to prevent or
search and destroy.

http://www.foundstone.com/ has good info on port redirectors.

Gerald