Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hidden windows ports, files and services.

From: Barrie Dempster <barrie () reboot-robot net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:01:31 +0000

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 17:01 -0500, Mark Reis wrote:
Hello Again,

I've discovered the answer to part 2 - the machine was infected by a
root kit

Good feedback, but can you please tell us.
1. How you discovered the rootkit
2. What rootkit it was
3. Exactly what was modified (if you recorded the information)

I'd like this out of personal curiosity but it would be beneficial for
any victims in the future, searching the web for symptoms they have, to
find a post that explains what is causing it.
Thanks in advance.

With Regards..
Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

  http://www.bsrf.org.uk

[ gpg --recv-keys --keyserver www.keyserver.net 0x96025FD0 ]