Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Why Security testing is required

From: "Ryan Cornelsen" <ryancor () microsoft com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:15:30 -0800

By that same token, many people have a false understanding of what
"security" really means.  Security, whether it be physical, electronic,
or otherwise, only buys the user time.  Take a home safe for example.
You can buy the best safe on the market but given enough time and the
right tools anybody can break into it.  The same goes for electronic
security on computers.  That being said, the time that a good security
system buys you can often be the determining factor between a thief
hacking your system or giving up and moving on to a lesser protected
target.  The only question that remains is: "How much time do you need?"
The other thing people tend to overlook when it comes to securing a
computer is the physical security.  All the firewalls in the world won't
do you any good if somebody walks into your lab and takes the computer
itself or hooks up another computer directly to hack into it.  It's much
easier to hack a security system when physical access is gained to the
computer.

To give my own .02 cents on the original question, security testing is
important because you need to be proactive in finding new ways to hack a
system.  If you don't find the security flaw and plug it then someone
else will exploit it.  No matter how good you are, you will always miss
*something* when designing software, the only question is what and how
severe of a problem it is.

Ryan Cornelsen