Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Traces

From: Fernando Gont <fernando () gont com ar>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:16:36 -0300

At 14:46 16/12/2003 -0800, Shawn Jackson wrote:

        Sorry, I can't think of any off hand. But I'll try and give you
a little information, if it helps at all. Depending on the type of
attack, how you will trace varies. In example, if you're suffering from
a DDoS attack, the chances that the originating IP address are that of
the initiator of the attack are slim to none. Additionally if it's a
no-response attack, (Syn Flood, teardrop) the return path address in the
IP header is most likely forged seaming they don't require return
traffic.

For Syn-Flood and Teardrop, you can probably have an idea of where how many hops away the attacker is, by guessing the initital TTL, and looking at the TTL of the incoming SYN.
Of course, this will be useless if the initial TTL was set to a random number.

For some types of DDoS, such as the "reflection" attacks, if the reflecting hosts cooperate, you could use the same technique to have an idea of where the attacker is.

In that case, you could do "triangulation" based on the TTL field of the packets that get to the reflectors, and thus find (or have an idea) of where the attacker is.

Of course, if the attacker sets the TTL field to some "unusual" value, this "technique" will be useless.

--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando () gont com ar || fgont () acm org