Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Traces

From: "Meritt James" <meritt_james () bah com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 12:09:00 -0500

I have gotten halfway around the world (was accessing a New Zealand
database) with few (single-digit) hope and have also seen a dozen miles
take multiple (double-digit, the first digit neither one or two) hops.
Unless you are concerned with network location and have dropped the
geographical location idea, of course.  I've also seen the same subnet
go across multiple nations (corporate network) and multiple subnets in
the same building.  I recommend against confusing apples with oranges.

Jim

Jimi Thompson wrote:

Physically locating people via "hops" isn't a very viable method.

--
James W. Meritt CISSP, CISA
Booz | Allen | Hamilton