Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Spyware drama!

From: "Mike" <mike () coenholdings ie>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 19:08:59 -0000

When taking our company onto the internet I was a little worried that
some of my less than conscientious users would spend more time
downloading screen savers, backgrounds and other junk than doing
anything useful with it so I persuaded my management to invest in Web
Marshall from
http://www.netiq.com/products/wma/default.asp?origin=ws_Home which
allows me not only to stop people downloading programs and files, but
allows me to block vb script, java applets and any other type of file
you do not want entering your network. It runs as a proxy and requires a
Win2000/XP machine to run on, but even though I am stuck with a lot of
Win95/98 machines which would be impossible to lock down easily (if at
all) I have no problem with spyware, and as it integrates with a number
of AV products I can scan any material that is downloaded by the few
people who can download files.

Regards
Mike Molloy
IT Supervisor