Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Spyware drama!

From: "Dave Killion" <dkillion () charter net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 10:23:55 -0800

FC,

You could add signatures to an IDS/IPS/IDP system that detects the use of
Spyware, and then hunt down the offending machine.  Would require some work
up-front, but save you time in the long run.  A lot less invasive, as well.

I know some of the major IDS/IPS/IDP vendors are adding those kinds of
signatures to their products now.  If you already own one, you're most of
the way there.  Otherwise, you could either look into one, or set up Snort
on your own.  Many of the Spyware apps use unique "User Agent" HTTP header
fields (i.e. Gator uses UserAgent: Gator).

Just a thought...

-Dave