Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: UDP Port 137 Question

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 22 Jan 2004 13:58:09 -0000

Hae you tried checking the ports on the local machine to see what is =
running, application wise.  I use Fport to give me a listing of application=
s and the ports they are using.  Doesn't help with windows services, but =
it shows a lot.

I'd highly recommend using openports.exe instead.  It doesn't need an admin account to run, and seems to provide a bit
more information.

It's likely that either one will show UDP port 137 being used by SYSTEM...if it doesn't then that should be a flag.
Also, capturing traffic might be useful.

Harlan

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!