Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: UDP Port 137 Question

From: Darrell Porter <dporter () cpp com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:20:32 -0800

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832017

will be most enlightening.

Computer Browser
The Computer Browser system service maintains an up-to-date list of
computers on your network and supplies the list to programs that request it.
The Computer Browser service is used by Windows-based computers to view
network domains and resources. Computers that are designated as browsers
maintain browse lists that contain all shared resources that are used on the
network. Earlier versions of Windows programs, such as My Network Places,
the net view command, and Windows Explorer, all require browsing capability.
For example, when you open My Network Places on a computer that is running
Microsoft Windows 95, a list of domains and computers appears. To display
this list, the computer obtains a copy of the browse list from a computer
that is designated as a browser.

System service name: BrowserApplication protocol Protocol Ports
NetBIOS Datagram Service UDP 138
NetBIOS Name Resolution UDP 137
NetBIOS Name Resolution TCP 137
NetBIOS Session Service TCP 139