Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: security advice

From: "Mike" <mike () superiorholidayadventures ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:06:40 -0500

1.  Disable File and Printer Sharing on all clients
2.  Disable all unneeded services
3.  Get yourself MSBSA and HFNetChk

4.  I would NAT on a separate box as opposed to your server.  I'm
assuming your server is Windows based?  Even a cheap Linksys "router"
would be a better choice than having a Windows fileserver doing Internet
sharing as well.

5.  If this is a Windows (2000/2003) server I would make it a DC and
join all clients to the domain.  I would then throw a rather restrictive
Group Policy at the clients.

6.  Nessus wouldn't be a bad idea to baseline your network and find any
possible insecure configurations.

Not so security related:

7.  Do backups of some sort
8.  Image clean systems
9.  Get users to store all their data on the server

Mike Fetherston