Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Anti-Virus on web facing servers??

From: "Brian C. Lane" <bcl () brianlane com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 12:14:19 -0700

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 09:32:50AM -0500, Dan Tesch wrote:
Hello, I just started with a company that has three
web facing W2K servers running IIS & SQL.

My question; they are patched and behind a firewall
but have no Anti-Virus running - can I get some feedback
on whether these boxes should be running AV??

They are on a network at a COLO just by themselves
ie: no desktops but get FTP uploads regularly for
content.

Adding AV can't hurt. Something with automatic updates and immediate
notification would be good.

Also, they are a good candidate for an IDS system. Add a Linux box running
Snort and ACID to the LAN segment (on the same hub or on the monitor port of
the switch) to watch over them.

Brian

--
---[Office 72.8F]--[Fridge 41.5F]---[Fozzy 95.0F]--[Coaster 56.8F]---
Linux Software Developer                     http://www.brianlane.com