Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Securing Linux based public access terminals

From: "Jordan Cole (stilist)" <stilist () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:47:33 -0400

There is a simple registry key that tells Windows what to use as it's
shell.  On XP, I believe it is "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\Current Version\Winlogon\Shell" (the default is set to explorer.exe
(REG_SZ).  You can just set this to "iexplore.exe" to load IE by default
(you can then add switches to the command to load a specific site).  You
will have to consider that by using IE, there are many ways that a user
will be able to access the local file system.  Example:  just type "c:\"
into an IE window and it should take you to the root drive.

Once you've set IE to the shell, you can use the registry to block
access to local drives and such... and be sure to block access to
regedit.exe. :) Otherwise, all the tinkering will have been in vain.
Just be sure to keep some shortcut or something so you can get into
the registry again if need be...

--

[stlst]

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html