Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Would you pay more ...

From: Joe Barrett <barrettj () wam umd edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 10:35:58 -0400 (EDT)

Actually, I refuse to use a broadband ISP unless I'm "allowed to host
servers" and they leave all ports open for me.  I certainly see the
security reasons for blocking them, but I don't think that the ISP should
get to charge extra to not block ports.

Instead, how about if the ISP blocked all ports by default, but if you
asked, they'd open them?  That wouldn't be that complicated of a change -
and it would help with the security issues.

Joe Barrett