Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Would you pay more ...

From: Florian Streck <streck () papafloh de>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 10:47:21 +0200

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 02:56:41PM -0400, Jeff wrote:
Regarding standard consumer broadband connections ...
Would you pay more to only have the following destination ports open
to the internet originating from your broadband modem:
     tcp  21 - ftp
     tcp  22 - ssh
     tcp  25 - smtp
tcp, udp  53 - dns
     tcp  80 - www
     tcp 110 - pop3
     tcp 119 - nntp
     udp 123 - ntp
     tcp 443 - secure www

(Arguments for/against specific ports solicited. I purposely left
some out that I don't use. Curious how significant they are to
others. IMAP4 and icmp protocols come to mind)

Personally I would not like such a setup. Ok, I'm surely no "standard"
user. But I also don't see a point in restricting to those ports.
The main drawback is that you're quite sure to run into some customers
who "need" some other ports and are unwilling to pay more because the
don't need some of the given ports and think more in the number of open
ports that are given to them. For those small companies that you
mentioned a firewall configured for their needs would be better imho.
As for security I don't see a point here. Most infections use those
ports that you want to open to spread. So nothing gained.

ALTERNATIVELY, would you like it if this was the STANDARD package and
additional ports were considered optional, and required payment.

No, I don't like the idea of paying more for something that I already
have. And think of the additional amount of work on your side to keep
track of who is allowed to use which ports.

LASTLY, this could start out as the NEW Secure way to go! It simply
requires that your existing cable modem be upgraded (replaced) at a
cost of $50-$75. All new installations would recieve these as part
of the std pkg.

(I know some small businesses that would LOVE to have this. I know
because they've called me to resolve some "weird problems" and look
at me funny when I tell them that they should have had a firewall all
along.)

As mentioned above, I think the better way is a firewall. Many
businessess don't need ntp or ssh for example. And if they get some
malware using that ports they might be a little bit unhappy about your
solution.
As for the money, companies however small will very likely be willing to
pay a little more than 50-75$ for a firewall with an individual setup.
and those Grandmas are better of with some kind of
personal firewall that might even cost less to install.

Florian

--
"...Deep Hack Mode--that mysterious and frightening state of
consciousness where Mortal Users fear to tread."