Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: virus mail ignores MX?

From: Mircea MITU <mmitu () bitdefender com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:34:17 +0300

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 10:58 +0000, Monty Ree wrote:
Thank you for all your kind advice.

But I have additional questioons.

1.
"set up your viruswall to relay the messages to the IP of mail.xxxxx.com."
--> I have used sendmail for viruswall, and how can I setup sendmail to
relay some ip?

This should be done from the virus filter. A antivirus smtp proxy should
have such an option, to relay email traffic (for some domains/networks)
to a specific mail server.

2. all said that I should set virus filtering module at mail server
directly wihtout any MX,

It is a good solution, but it depends on the email traffic volume and
the resources constrains (hardware, server load)

if then, virus module may cause some load to mail server, I guess. right?

Yes, any additional filter cause extra overhead. But it depends on the
email traffic and the hardware resources. But it is still the best
solution since it can filter inbound and outbound traffic without
additional settings or programs.

Regards,

--
Mircea MITU
BitDefender - Secure your every bit

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html