Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: virus mail ignores MX?

From: Ranjeet Shetye <ranjeet.shetye2 () zultys com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:53:33 -0700

* Burton M. Strauss III (BStrauss () acm org) wrote:
Read the relevant RFC (974)...

   The domain servers store information as a series of resource records
   (RRs), each of which contains a particular piece of information about
   a given domain name (which is usually, but not always, a host).  The
   simplest way to think of a RR is as a typed pair of datum, a domain
   name matched with relevant data, and stored with some additional type
   information to help systems determine when the RR is relevant.  For
   the purposes of message routing, the system stores RRs known as MX
   RRs. Each MX matches a domain name with two pieces of data, a
   preference value (an unsigned 16-bit integer), and the name of a
   host.  The preference number is used to indicate in what order the
   mailer should attempt deliver to the MX hosts, with the lowest
   numbered MX being the one to try first.  Multiple MXs with the same
   preference are permitted and have the same priority.

Emphasis on 'should', which has a specific meaning in RFCs - e.g.

   SHOULD    This word, or the adjective "recommended", means that there
             may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to
             ignore this item, but the full implications MUST be
             understood and carefully weighed before choosing a
             different course.

From the bad guy's perspective, wanting to get the mail through without
being filtered - in a perverse way - probably qualifies as a "valid
reason...to ignore this item".

-----Burton

And to further clarify Burton's excellant explaination for those who
are not very clear about RFCs, even if the RFC had specified a MUST,
there is no technical framework to enforce the compliance with the RFC
on part of the spammer/virus-writer.

Hence even if the RFC had specified a MUST, a virus writer could make
an intelligent guess that a backup MX server is probably not as well
protected as the primary server and hence better his/her chances by
violating the RFC, and using the backup server. Any protection against
such an attack would involve too much state tracking and is probably
not worth the effort. Its much better to protect all servers equally.