Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Which Windows OS is Safest

From: "Kenton Smith" <ksmith () chartwelltechnology com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:43:02 -0600

I would be careful to draw specific conclusions from this thread as I've
seen little consensus in the threads so far.

I think the important thing (and one commonality in this thread) is to make
sure that the infrastructure is secure and that the O/S is fully patched
with all unnecessary services turned off. We have users with 2000 and XP and
I haven't seen anything to tell me one is more *secure* than the other. One
bonus though; XP has a built-in firewall (limited though it may be). And if
you're going to choose 2000, go with SP4 not 3 as suggested earlier.

Kenton