Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: is this real?

From: Eric Brown <ericbrow () ziplip com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:42:12 -0800 (PST)

Michael,
I've seen this sort of openness with unpatched Cobalt servers from Sun.  They're nice in that they allow someone with
limited knowledge and expirence set up their own web and mail server, but they're about as secure as swiss cheese.  The
first server I ran in production was a Cobalt Raq4.  Then I started learning about network security (thanks in large
part to this list).  Now we've switched to a much more secure setup.

Or it could be a honeypot.  It does look suspiciously open, I'll agree with you on that.

Eric