Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Does anyone know a script to disable a device in Windows XP?

From: "Corey LeBleu" <coreylebleu () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 14:46:22 -0500

My co-worker tried disabling it through device manager and it doesn't seem to stay in the image (using Ghost). He has been able to disable the service, but he wants the device not to show in the toolbar for the end-users. Is there any way to automate this process and not have to manually do it on each machine?

Regards,
Corey

Corey LeBleu wrote:

Does anyone know a script to disable a device in Windows XP? Specifically to disable a built-in wireless NIC on a laptop. One of my co-workers needs it to create an image for deployment. Thanks.

Is there any reason you can't just disable the nic in device manager & the wireless service in services.msc before doing the clone? (Assuming it's just patched_laptop_master_image > clone_laptops)

The nic & service will stay disabled in the new clones & users won't be able to reenable them without Admin privileges. I've just done a load of laptops like that without problems (Ghost / 2k & XP).

Pete

Best Restaurant Giveaway Ever! Vote for your favorites for a chance to win $1 million! http://local.msn.com/special/giveaway.asp

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html